Skills checklist for two-year-olds
Remember that your child has the entire year to accomplish these
Phonics / Reading
- Can say the alphabet without singing it.
- Memorizes several short poems or nursery rhymes.
- Understands that reading is down from left to right.
- Able to handle books gently.
- Able to point to pictures when asked questions about them. (Where is
the red bird?)
- Enjoys the library.
Writing / Penmanship
- Holds a crayon correctly when coloring.
- Can trace straight lines.
- Can trace curved and zig-zag lines.
- Demonstrates proper posture while drawing or coloring.
- Can count out loud to 20.
- Can count objects to 20.
- Understands simple comparisons and superlatives like Big, Little, Long,
- Can sort objects by size and color.
Science / Health
- Recognizes a variety of domestic and wild animals and the sounds they
- Knows the names of outside objects, (sky, cloud, tree, rock, moon...)
- Starting to understand the basics of good health principles, (diet,
hygiene, exercise, sleep...)
- Starting to understand basic safety principles, (don't touch the stove...)
- Knows the different family members names. (Mommy, Daddy, sister, brother,
Aunt, Uncle, grandma, grandpa)
- Knows the names of common foods.
- Knows the names of articles of clothing.
- Knows the names of different rooms in the house.(Kitchen, dining room,
- Knows the names of different pieces of furniture.(Desk, chair, couch...)
- Identifies the colors red, yellow, blue, green, purple, orange, pink,
brown, black and white.
- Remembers colors from memory. (What color are carrots? Peas? Corn?)
- Identifies the shapes circle, square, triangle, rectangle, oval, star,
arrow, cross and (crescent) moon.
- Begins to sit quietly for short periods of time when listening to a
- Follows a series of directions,ie. "Please put your nightgown
in the hamper, get dressed and then make your bed."
- Names different school supplies and is familiar with their use.
- Takes proper care of his school supplies.
- Listens to a variety of music.
- Enjoys singing and knows the words to several children's songs.
- Keeps simple time and rhythm by clapping hands.
- Makes music by banging pots, sticks or blocks together.
- May be taught to play the piano at this age. (Must be taught not to
bang on the keys from day 1!)
- Enjoys running, jumping, hopping, climbing, chasing, being chased...
- Enjoys dancing to music.
Arts / Crafts
- Is familiar with and uses a variety of art mediums, colors and textures.
- Takes care of her art supplies.
Manners / Helping
- Helps with picking up toys and putting them away.
- Helps make her bed.
- Learning to say Please, Thank you, You're welcome and excuse me.
- Learning to say yes/no sir/ma'am.
- Gets things for you and puts things in trash when asked.
- Puts dirty clothes in hamper or laundry room.
- Feeds the dog/cat.
- Helps wash the car.
- Puts his dirty dishes in the sink after eating.
- Dresses herself with minimal assistance. (May still need help with
buttons or zippers.)
- Potty trained but still needs assistance wiping self after a bowel
movement. (NOTE: Although most children are potty trained by the time they
turn 3, some take longer to get the hang of it.)
- Washes and dries hands after using the bathroom and before meals. (Keep
a step stool by the sink)